The Silent Film Festival and EIga Sai has and is finishing its run in selected cinemas. The Silent Film Festival at Shang and EIga Sai at Shang and different cinemas around the Philippines. As usual the selecion of films provides the viewer with a fresh perspective on life and society. It is not your usual fare. The range of themes are wide from Science Fiction to Food Documentary. (i) What did you watch? and (ii) What do you like or not like about it? At the end of your comment please leave your name, student number and section.

This entry was posted in News and Announcements and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to For My STS Students: International Film Festival: Eiga Sai and Silent Film Festival 2015

1. Keoni Cruz says:

I was able to watch It’s a Beautiful Life (Jinsei Irodori). I liked how I didn’t expect to actually like the movie. At first glance, the movie seemed plain and old especially since it starred a bunch of senior citizens. However, the story was very meaningful as it teaches you crucial lessons about life such as never giving up on your dreams. Furthermore, I liked how the seniors were able to circumvent the problem that they had by being extremely creative in their garnish business. To add to this, it was a true story so I kind of saw it as an amazing feat. After failing a few times, they didn’t give up and eventually their garnish business became extremely successful. As an aspiring businessman, I really learned a lot of important values that one must have in order to succeed. If there was one thing that I didn’t like about the movie, it would be the times where it seemed like failure was imminent. The movie was able to gain my sympathy towards the characters and seeing them fail just pains me. However, this characteristic adds to the overall drama and effect of the movie which makes it surprisingly beautiful even for a teenager like me.

2. Steven Paul Evangelio says:

I have been a follower of Japanese films even before I was a film student. I was able to watch Parasyte, Wood Job and Our Family.

Parasyte is a weird experience. It plays in the elements of a manga – being true to its adaptation. Yamazaki’s black comedy worked in many levels putting in layers and layers of emotional attachment to the characters, hilarious comedic beats, socio-political overtones, some snaps of fright and of course disturbing images.

Wood Job kept me smiling. The soul of this film is how Yaguchi carefully and meticulously molded each and every character, keeping every one of them part of the story yet whole individually. I love how the film preserves an old Japanese tradition keeping it light and real at the same time.

Our Family is disappointing if you’ve actually watched the Japanese classic Tokyo Story. But l won’t discount the fact that it has a heart. I think I need not to say more of it.

STEVEN PAUL EVANGELIO
    2012-79060
    STS-THY

3. Trisha Denise Cedeño says:

Eiga Sai’s PARASYTE was a perfect mix of gore and fantasy. It must be a film jam-packed with head-slashing, blood-sucking, and human-eating scenes but you’ll get amazed by how science and technology was able to capture a concern which I found rather deep and intriguing–“Adaptation as a means of survival”.

Co-existence was the main point in the movie that instead of killing, the “monsters” tried to adapt to the lifestyle of human beings. However, it shows that co-existing did not really go well for both parties as either one or both of the two has to give up something in order to live in peace.

I thought this would just be another average film but then it finally hit me, “Parasyte was, after all, actually connected to our discussions in STS regarding Pamana and the werewolves.” Amazing! See, Pamana and the werewolves could be symbolized by the monsters in Parasyte. Adaptation entails giving up particular behaviors which could lead to imbalance and chaos within the environment. It’s either the animals/aliens would go and fight against human beings; or, they fall under human control which we commonly refer to as “domestication”.

Come to think of it, what if the world went upside down?

People would be the ones domesticated and animals/or aliens would be thinking and acting like they are seated up the highest hierarchy of life form. Who are we to think superior of ourselves, anyway? Sweetest revenge for the poor little Dodo, the few living Rhinos, and our very own dear Pamana. And yes, for all those hapless living creatures human beings killed in order to survive.

So, aren’t we the actual PARASYTES?

4. Bianca Isabel Esteban says:

I actually didn’t watch an Eiga Sai film at the UP Film Center. I found out that we have a copy of the film ‘Parasyte’ at home, which I’m actually thankful of since there were gore scenes I’m not really prepared for (sorry).

Migi was so adorable in the movie and of course, his relationship with Shinichi. I’ll never forget the part in the film where Migi found out the way how to revive Shinichi’s life. Aside from Migi, I also like the teacher (I forgot her name) but at the same time, I also dislike her. I like her in the sense that even though her brain was already invaded by the parasite/alien, she keeps on ‘experimenting’ in order for her to learn how to adapt to human society. I dislike her for killing and manipulating humans in order for her to survive. Co-existence between humans and “monsters” is actually not in the same page.

What I don’t like about the film is the fact that there is still a part two. I’m definitely watching the second part of the film because I want to know how will the conflict be solved. But definitely I’m not watching it alone!

Bianca Isabel P. Esteban
    2015-10040
    STS-THY

5. Martin Cruz says:

From the silent film festival, I was able to watch the movie Patisserie Coin De Rue (Yougashiten Koandoru) by director Yoshihiro Fukagawa.

At first, I thought the movie was going to be a shallow one considering the use of the theme “desserts,” or more specifically, the use of a bakeshop as one of the main venues of the film.

However, I like how the film quickly changed its vibe. Early on, the dramatic side of the movie is shown to highlight the journey of the protagonist (Natsume) and all the hardships she had to go through as a baker trying to discover her craft in the arts of dessert-making. In her journey, she was guided by different mentors helping her develop her skills.

Basically, it really told a lesson through the use of baking, desserts, and a trace of drama. Natsume, throughout the whole film, showed resilience and willpower resulting to her eventually finding success in life.

I didn’t like, however, how the ending of the film was kind of a cliche. But, overall, the film was a great success story, mixing the elements of drama, fun, failures and accomplishments together.

MARTIN ALEXANDER F. CRUZ
    2015-08545
    STS-THX

6. Clarysse Alfonso says:

As an anime enthusiast, Parasyte has been a buzz at the back of my mind since it aired. From what I’ve seen in the movie, the theme is notably grander than that of your average anime series. Under the mildly unsettling visuals ala-Human Centipede and blood-crazed shock value, the message is clear: the new invaders may be parasites, but the hosts are not any less so. Life is so blandly severe and tragically simple that we just have to believe there’s something special within us to make it all bearable.

But the thing is, Parasyte is hardly the pioneer in this subject. Any radical vegan can tell you—probably in a scientific and ethically supercilious manner—that humans are not exactly the greatest stuff to have been inflicted on the planet. Of course it’s that, exactly, which makes the whole concept work. As was discussed today, books and media shape our reality and our ideologies by giving us engaging stories to digest, not boring lectures to resent. No one wants to be told that they’re self-centered parasites, ruled by their baser needs and desires, and in no way intrinsically superior to any other life form. But something that makes them come to that conclusion on their own—in a darkly humorous, trigger-happy package—now that’s an easy sell.

Discussing each character (from Shinichi to Migi to Ryouko down to the dead dog) and what they represent would probably require a ten-page paper. The main point of all these characters is to shove the audience out of their presumably unquestioning humanism and to make them feel smart for “getting” the message. The epilogue, unfortunately, dispels all illusions of sincerity. Predictably enough, Migi and Ryouko end up being more “humane” and therefore evolve into “good” characters. It’s mildly hypocritical and patronizing.

But who cares? I’m quite shallow enough to enjoy it all, thankfully. It makes no matter if they bombard me with moral questions from beginning to end—my bias towards humanity remains unmoved. Nothing is created nor destroyed no matter what we do. Debating about ethics is just another one of our conceited quirks. A movie is no more than a movie, so if Parasyte gets shown in class, by all means pass the popcorn.

ALFONSO, Clarysse Bernadette T.
    2012-59003
    STS THY

7. Lei Azarcon says:

For Eiga Sai, I was able to watch Wa-Shoku: Beyond Sushi on a Friday night at the UP Film Institute. It’s a documentary, not really a movie. I wasn’t able to finish it until the end but I thought that it was very interesting to watch. The reason for which I think it was such is because its subject, food, (sushi and other Japanese delicacies) grabs the attention of many and always draws a lot of people. It wasn’t just about food, it was also about the tradition and the art of preparing Japanese cuisine and how it contributes to the culture. Some of the differences between American and Japanese cooking were also shown. It was like a juxtaposition of the cuisine of the Orient (Japan) and the Occident (America). And although my taste buds weren’t able to experience the tantalizing food-fare showcased in the documentary film, it was all the same a delight and treat to my eyes.

Last Saturday, I also “braved” the traffic and watched two films at the Silent Film Festival at Shang Cineplex. I booked a taxi using the GrabTaxi application and the driver was using Waze (he just got out of the traffic and he knew about it), so the commute was relatively ‘chill’ as compared to what out other countrymen experienced that day. I actually went last year and I thought that spicing up Silent Films by live-scoring them was wonderful. I enjoyed my first time watching a silent film last year for free, so I decided to go again this year. I watched the German entry at 7PM, entitled Berlin, Die Sinfonie Der Großstadt (Berlin, A Symphony of a Great City). It was scored by Pierre Oser and the Big Jazz Balloon. The music and the film were both pleasing. The film was unconventional, without a narrative and its main character being the city itself. As a graduating student taking up European Languages, and having been immersed to the German culture because of my relatives, I was able to appreciate the film and see the film in a different perspective. I tried to analyze it and be critical about it and I was still able to enjoy it. All I can say is that back then, Berlin sure seemed like a great city in its Golden Age, and although it’s not quite the same nowadays because many things have changed, I think that the symphony of the great city (the film and figuratively speaking) lives on. After that, I watched the Spanish entry, Don Juan Tenorio, I was able to enjoy it less than the German entry. The scoring was okay, the film would have been more engaging if I weren’t that sleepy. But it’s a classic, and it’s about the classic character in Spanish text, Don Juan. Just like other silent films with dialogue, the video clip is shown then the captions or dialogue are flashed afterwards. It was quite longer than the German film too. Basically, the film questions morality and demonstrates machismo among other things. It also works on themes like reflection and repentance.

Lei Lois T. Azarcon
    2012-59009
    THY

8. I have watched Parasyte, which actually was an adaptation from the anime version of it, so I kinda have the background and/or plot of the story. What was unexpected and very admirable was how the movie was portrayed. It was one of the few live action, anime-adapted movies of Japan, that for me, gave a bigger impact than the anime itself. On the surface, it portrayed the hidden invasion of the alien life-forms of unknown origins, to the bloody-slashing and fighting. What piqued my interest was how they portrayed the maternal love of the mother of the protagonist (which wasn’t shown on the anime btw) It gives a very dramatic and tear-jerking scene which covers the concept of gore which was shown on the anime.

OLAYTA, LINCOLN PAUL A.
    2013-33331
    STS THY

9. Daniel Chen Ratilla says:

I was able to watch two movies: “Parasyte”, and “It’s A Beautiful Life”.

I have always loved horror/thriller films, and the Japanese brand has ever failed to disappoint. Parasyte was strange, but entertaining and even humorous at times. Personally, it paled in comparison to “It’s A Beautiful Life”. The latter movie immediately resonated with me as I have always had a soft spot for senior citizens. The film beautifully depicted the struggle of their hometown, Kamikatsu, and the inspiring actions of the three elderly women are made even more inspiring when you learn that this is a true story.

“It’s A Beautiful Life” knows how to play with your heartstrings, and pulls at them over and over again throughout the film. The constant struggle of the characters, and the lasting friendship of the elderly women, are powerful factors that make this film a true gem where one can pick up a lot of life lessons.

10. Hiro Kobayashi says:

The documentary “WA-SHOKU: Beyond Sushi” is more of how Japanese food/cuisine got known from other parts of the world. Most of the people outside Japan doesn’t have a clue about Japanese Cuisine or hasn’t tasted one. One of the main characteristics or elements of the Japanese Cuisine or Wa-shoku is the “Umami”. I like how Japanese chefs outside Japan tried to keep the traditional way of making a certain Japanese food such as sushi so that they can advocate the Japanese Cuisine and let more people know about it. Some other people tried to make the food as it was traditionally made, and some tried to make a new variation of Japanese food where it has some Western or Foreign touch to it so that more people would appreciate the food. I really liked the documentary since it was about the quest or journey to let other people know about Japanese food. Since the documentary was focused on the development and advancement of Japanese Cuisine in the United States, I would like to know the development of the Japanese Cuisine in the Philippines. In my perspective, the Japanese Cuisine in the Philippines is blooming, but I can only say that many of the Japanese restaurants I’ve eaten in weren’t authentic. Most of the Japanese restaurants here don’t even use ??? or Japanese rice, which is quite disappointing since the Japanese rice is one of the best things you could eat in a Japanese cuisine. I despise Japanese restaurants who tend to use long grained regular rice in a sushi where you can’t even mold the rice properly. Not only that, they tend to add more water to rice so that the texture of the rice becomes more “stickier” when it’s actually just mushier. I understand that business is business and that you have to make income or else you would go bankrupt, but using fine or authentic ingredients for the dishes that one is serving in a restaurant would actually attract more customers if the food was good, well in my opinion that is. Nevertheless, Ramen in the Philippines is improving. I can say that a few are already on par with the authentic Ramen in Japan. New Ramen shops have been popping out everywhere recently and that is good to know. I chose to watch this movie because I want to learn more about how such cuisines are made and the procedures/techniques behind it. Not only am I interested about the food but also the stories/histories behind the food. I would like to see how the food was created, how it got more and more refined, and other things that might have happened to it.

Hiro Kobayashi
    2013-78631
    STS THY

11. Marc Benedict Talamayan says:

9th International SILENT FILM FESTIVAL

Honestly, I don’t really watch Japanese films. I mean I read manga and watch some anime series, but not the short films, especially the ones that are silent. Apparently, I couldn’t go to the cinemas so I just googled what were being presented during the film festival and there were 4 short films, all silent and old. I just searched and downloaded all of them from YouTube and voila, 4 short films waiting to be watched by me.

I thought I would be bored to death because: a.) I have no background on Japanese culture, b.) I am not fond of watching mute films c.) I dislike black-and-white shows; but it hit me. It was hilarious.

There were 4 short stories: Peerless Patriot (Mansaku Itami), Fighting Friends (Yasujiro Ozu), A straightforward boy (Yasujiro Ozu), Buddhist mass for Goemon Ishikawa (Torajiro Saito). 4 short films of comedy, 4 short films that didn’t fail to put a smile on my face. I never expected that these kind of films (that looked really ancient) can still be at par with our modern day comic movies. Not to mention the lessons it imparts (in my opinion)- humility is key, friendships are golden, appearances may be just illusions, love can be spiritually connected; all told in a witty kind of way.

In connection with science and technology, it shows us how we’ve made advancements in the film industry. Gone are the days of black and white, now we’re doing 3D effects, sound effects, photoshops, video effects etc on our movies. Current vs. past: In my opinion, our current films are way better technically but both are proofs of people’s vast imagination and creativity.

Although some of the silent films are incomplete (I think) because all of them were made a really long time ago, all were still worth watching.

I’ll be looking forward to watching more Japanese short films but for now, sayonara!

MARC BENEDICT TALAMAYAN
    2015-03672
    STSTHX

12. Jodevic Perez says:

The film I watched was The God of Ramen.
    It was a very inspiring and touching film, since it showed a very cultural side of Japan. I was particularly touched about the chef’s dedication and passion to his craft, and even more so to his kind and generous heart. The way he shares his ramen to his customers goes beyond a relationship of a business owner and a consumer, but more of an artist expressing himself to an audience. He treats his apprentices like his own children, sharing in their success and helping them on their troubles. It was saddening, that he had carried such a large burden on his own, with the death of his wife, his own health deterioration and of course, the inevitable closing of his ramen shop.
    Still, with his legendary cooking and extraordinary personality, his spirit lives on the people he inspired, which ultimately changed their lives.

Jodevic Perez
    2011-13634
    STS THY

13. Arianne Rose S. Agustin says:

I watched “Wa-shoku ~Beyond Sushi~”at the UP Film Institute last August 14, 2015 because I love Japanese food. Ever since my other relatives stayed in Japan for good, I became very fascinated with their way of living. I love sushi, wasabe and ramen. I feel like that my whole month will not be complete without eating any Japanese foods. I also studied their language; Nihonggo because I want to learn more about their culture. That was one of my many reasons why I chose to watch Wa-shoku.
    The film was not only about sushi or Japanese cuisine but also the culture and art behind it. I love how they packaged the whole documentary because it was not a typical boring documentary. They showed the history behind the Japanese cuisine like sushi. Now I know the art on making a very delicious authentic sushi! Yay! They also showed how Japanese cuisine evolved through out the years. What I don’t like about the film was that, they focused on comparing the development of Japanese cuisine in America. Maybe, it was much better if they will just examine and explain how it became famous on Asia specifically, China, Philippines, Thailand or even Malaysia.
    Overall, I had a great time watching the film! I’m looking forward for the Eiga Sai 2016 ^_^

Arianne Rose S. Agustin
    2013-05202

14. Bea Cerojano says:

I was able to watch Thermae Romae II. I wasn’t able to watch Thermae Romae I, but it wasn’t that difficult to follow the storyline. It was about an architect named Lucius who had to solve the problems of Ancient Rome through public baths. He constantly slips into modern Japan when he needs inspiration for a public bath design. It was a funny movie, especially when Lucius is in modern day Japan because he looks so clueless and amazed. The way Lucius finds ways to adapt the modern technology in Ancient Rome was also amusing. Although the movie gave off a light-hearted feeling, it also showed Japan’s bathing culture. I never knew that there were so many kinds of baths in Japan for various purposes. There are baths for entertainment, health, and relaxing. There was also some twisting of history, but I guess it can’t be helped because the movie is a comedy about time travel after all.

Overall it an enjoyable movie that gave a brief insight to Japan’s bathing culture.

Bea Cerojano
    2012-61155
    STS-THY

15. Elle Bagarra says:

I watched the film Thermae Romae 2. It was very interesting to see a Japanese film using Roman characters and setting. The theme of the film also surrounds time-travelling where the main character is an architect who travels to another time-frame or to the future to explore new ideas for the thermae projects the emperor of Rome has given to the architect. Thermaes are like pools, bath houses or outdoor artificial lakes. Every time the architect drowns in the water, he is transported to Japan in today’s time. He then copies the design of different man-made pools and contraptions found in the modern day and applies them to the Roman thermae, thinking that the present machines are operated by slaves.

I find the film hilarious and the characters’ curiosity about modern things always crack me up. The random guy singing each time-travelling episodes is also a funny addition. However, I do not agree with the architect’s copying of design. As a landscape architecture student, I can’t bear the idea of using someone else’s idea without truly acknowledging his work. But then, I was eased when he felt guilty with his replication of modern designs and activities.

What I don’t get about the film is the romance forming between the architect and the Japanese girl who I can’t understand why she is even in the film. I haven’t read the manga series but based on what I watched, I am not a fan of the romance. But after researching about the prequel of the film, she was the main character there and met the architect first there. Still, the romance is pointless.

Overall, the film was pretty great. I was entertained and so were my friends and the other moviegoers.

Gabrelle Bagarra
    2011-58673
    STS THY

16. Abigail Zara says:

I was able to watch Yasujiro Ozu’s A Straightforward Boy and Fighting Friends – Japanese Style. A Straightforward Boy is about a man who kidnaps a little boy, only to realize how demanding his young hostage is. The film follows his attempts to get rid of the kid after this realization, except it is not as easy as he thinks. Fighting Friends depicts a friendship between two men and how it changes when they start to fall in love with the same woman.

The two movies keep a similar tone all throughout: light and comedic. The comedy style has a mix of slapstick and reminds me of older Pinoy comedy films. The scenarios were unusual yet believable and felt so “everyday”. I think this is what I liked about them the most: they were such a breath of fresh air from the movies I usually watch. Despite being really old, they were refreshing in my eyes because they did not need to be “deep” or have outrageous plot twists and a complicated storyline in order to keep me entertained. Simple and funny is a good combination but never has it been served to me in this manner until now.

I have not seen any silent film before these two, so I have no point of comparison for them aside from each other. But they gave me a good glimpse into the world of silent movies and better yet, made me want to see more of it.

Abigail Zara
    2014-32873
    THX

17. Earl Roy E. Del Rosario says:

Despite the heavy traffic caused by the INC protest, I was still able to watch BERLIN, DIE SINFONIE DER GROßSTADT (Berlin: Symphony of a Metropolis). To be honest, I walked into the theater expecting a very dated, boring, and run-of-the-mill documentary about a version of a city that barely exists today (Berlin was devastated by WW2). But the age of the film betrays its true value. It is actually an excellent, innovative, and contemporary film masterpiece about a day in Berlin that contains elements prevalent today in modern filmmaking.

In contrast to the more traditional filmmaking styles in the Silent Era—in which films were mainly recordings of theater-style performances—“Berlin”, along with others, started to veer towards more avant-garde, experimental methods. The result can be seen in its very rhythmic, and energetic portrayal of the city at that point in time. Modern Documentary style shots of different people, places, and points of interest in Berlin were cut, framed, and sequenced in such a way as to imply a certain narrative in the film. In the earlier acts, for example, the scenes show a magnificent city devoid of its lifeblood: the people. But as “Berlin” progresses and the majority of the people spring into action, the city is brought back to life. And one can also see how the city shifts in character as the people change: when the day turns to night, busybodies in offices and factories turn into people eager to be “pleased” by Berlin’s nightlife. Aside from this, there were also other techniques used such as sequencing shots to convey more meaning (shots of workers entering the factory right before a sequence showing livestock being herded into pens) and visual motifs (like repeating train sequences implying the frantic pace of the city and urbanization, among other things). These elements can be easily seen in today’s films (even advertisements) which have way more visual—as opposed to theatrical, actor-focused—styles. But in these, they were used not just for “being in vogue” but were used because they had a clear role in showing what the city truly was at that time and how the people lived in such a situation, with their own resources and challenges. So in essence, it is not only great at depicting realistically how man, science, technology and history interacted in that era, but also advanced the techniques of filmmaking, along with the other masterpieces of its time (such as “Battleship Potemkin”).

Aside from its effective and innovative techniques, “Berlin” is made even better by the accompanying Big Jazz Balloon band (along with composer Pierre Osel) which created music which so closely linked itself to the film’s nature that it effectively makes the viewer feel that his experience would never be definitive without it.

All in all, “Berlin” is not just a wellspring of innovation, but an “experience” that one must never turn down; a time machine that takes one back to a frantic, but exciting era, and allows one to fully bask in its energy and sensations.

Earl Roy E. Del Rosario
    2015-08613
    STS THY

18. My Summary: Parasyte is a movie lead by Shinichi Izumi, a 17-year-old high school student who interferes with a parasite named Migi. It was one day when parasites occupied Earth with the intention to take over humans for nourishment as they entangled their selves in to these brains of the human they considered as host. Luckily, as the parasite Migi should have entered the ears of Shinichi, he was wearing headset resulting in the entrance on his arm. However, her mother Nobuko died earlier in the story as a parasite invaded her human body and mind. Repercussion of the said invasion is the thought of Shinichi that the mother he known for a long time is the same person who becomes host of the parasite until the time came in the latter part of the story when the said host of her mother’s parasite attempted to stab her in the heart leading to her death by Shinichi and Uda, who has the same condition as Shinichi. His father, Kazuyuki, started engaging into doubts that Shinichi was infected by parasite.

Back to the former part, Shinichi’s brain was not invaded by Migi resulting in different personality and individual ability. At first, Migi has no interest in protecting the humanity from parasites, until he slowly become human-hearted. They first had an argument until they develop a stronger bond with each other. Unlike other parasites, Migi did not rely on nourishment from the brain of Shinichi, but instead similar to the nourishment of Shinichi from the food he had eaten. He started coexisting with his parasite in order to save humanity from these parasites who devour human brains and make the their victim except from the case of saving his own parasite, Migi. As a young boy, he was dictated by his own parasite as they battled against other brain-eating parasites. Since he was free of the invasion of Migi in his body, he can act and think individually without the coexistence of parasite in which becomes a big threat to other parasites. Migi also attempted to kill others who have known their secrecy.

Review: The interesting part and the things I like the most in this manga are the moral lessons it teaches like differences in a logical way or anatomy, are never a hindrance to work together or form a bond. Also, Shinichi proved the restoration of humanity and bravery against invaders are not impossible things even at a young age. His spatial skills (like to protect the many) and amicable ability (for coexisting with Migi) made him more competitive over the invasion of these parasites. I really admire his bravery (and cuteness) to be against parasites that invaded human brains to save the hardships of all and for his ability to protect Migi despite different odds.

Jaquelyn Vidal
    BA Political Science
    2015-01581

19. ^Jaquelyn Vidal
    2015-01581
    STS THY

20. Diane Mary Grace Baguio says:

I was able to watch Parasyte during the Eiga Sai International Film Festival.

As an anime enthusiast, I have already heard of Parasyte quite a lot. Unfortunately, I just watched the first episode and decided to stop because it gave me the chills. And so, I won’t be able to give a comparison of both. However, I still enjoyed watching the film even though it was really heartbreaking (when his mother became one of the aliens), and not to mention, disturbing. I can’t even sleep very well that night which lead me to thinking… What then if these aliens succeeded in eliminating the human race? Doesn’t that mean that hey have serverd their purpose and have nothing to do with Earth anymore? What will they eat? What if Sinichi and Miki kill all of the parasytes? Will Sinichi cut his arm? WIll they be spared or will they be condemned? WIll the people accept that their hero is also a parasyte?

A lot of questions flooded my mind that night. But on another note, the effects were good as well. The cinematography was great. It’s as if everything was real. Japanese films never fail to amaze and surprise me whatever film genre it may be. And so I would be very happy to know the answers to my questions, hopefully, in their next International Film Festival. :)

Diane Mary Grace Baguio
    2012-35879
    STS THY

21. Raymille Darra Orquiza says:

I was able to watch A Tale of Samurai Cooking – A True Love Story. What a liked most about the film was that it further unveiled the uniqueness of traditional Japanese culture. From the attires of the characters and the selection of settings for the scenes, it really emphasized how particular Japanese are when it comes to following the physical orders of their culture. But beyond all the external traits portrayed, I loved how the cast was able to define, in a very detailed way, all the manner and customs of all the Japanese people that made them well recognized around the world.

Speaking about the movie, I am still amazed with how the story progressed, including all the factors that affected the flow of it. From being a servant who has exceptional skills in cooking and a samurai who had his entire life tied to a sword, these two paths would have never intersected. But because of their culture and tradition, which I think played a vital part in their story, they were able to marry each other.

Apart from their love story, I found the scene where Haru’s (the female lead) husband said that his family and friends are of no importance when it comes to fulfilling his duties as a samurai really amusing, not because it was against my belief that more than anything else, family should come first. However, I came to realize how culture can dominate one’s way of living, up to the extent of leaving or giving up the people closest to you in order to follow the traditions of how you think you should live.

Raymille Darra T. Orquiza
    2014-61509

22. Ven John B. Asuncion says:

Being able to watch 2 Japanese films, namely, “Parasyte” and “Wood Job” was a superb experience for me. It brought me to a different world and culture that are uncommon compared to those of local and American films we usually watch.

Watching “Parasyte” was really disgusting at first because of the disturbing and ruthless killing it showed. But I became used up to it as I continued watching. What I admire in this film is the way a human, like Shinichi, had built his trust to a monster, named Migi, despite their differences and the dangerous situations that this monster had caused. But I dislike the principle of this film that killing is the only way of getting rid of a parasite. Symbolically, some humans are already parasites and they control the minds of others for their own benefits. And, the widespread dilemma hinders the society and the nation’s progress. However, parasites do not exist without their hosts. That is why, to avoid being misled by parasites is the best way of preventing this problem; and eventually, those “parasites” might turn righteous when time comes.

“Wood Job,” for me, best fits teenagers like me. Most youths nowadays are already prioritizing affection to their special someones rather than their studies, just like Hirano’s purpose of studying forestry because he was inspired with the model (Naoki) in a forestry- related magazine. What I like in this film is the process that Hirano went through in order to love his job and the forest itself. His strict companion Yoki and his inspiration Naoki pushed him to love what he’s doing. On the other hand, I don’t like the attitude of Hirano’s friends at the start of the film. They probably influenced him in a negative manner which caused his “ignorant” personality at first. To love the course you are taking makes yourself and the society step up to greater heights.

To sum it up, Japanese films might be my focus in what I’ve written because of its moral but that doesn’t mean that we disregard other films of other nations, most especially ours. Films are creative in their own ways as to how they try to connect to those people who watch them.

ASUNCION, VEN JOHN B.
    2015-07359
    STS-THY

23. Among the silent films, I was able to watch “Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans.” To be honest, I was not expecting anything but a typical love story from the title of the movie. But only after an hour and thirty minutes, I was left speechless. It was everything but that.

Sunrise was a simple yet beautifully told love story. As a whole, the plot could be described as very uncomplicated and just a tale of husband cheating on his wife with a mistress. But it is because of the simplicity of this whole film, coupled with its strong ironic storyline, is what makes it such a great film. The irony of the husband who plotted his wife’s death at the bay but at the end, realized how much he loved her and saved her at this the very same bay, was so striking. Likewise, an element such as the bundle of reeds, which was supposed to be used to save himself after the supposed murder, was secured to the wife instead to save her from the storm. Ending up offering his life and giving the reeds to his wife, the irony climaxes when the husband is the one who survived the storm and the wife does not (until later when they found her). It was definitely not the turn of the events I expected.

The film showed “love” at its core, in its most pure and unassuming ways. It was displayed in the simple acts of the husband and wife rekindling their youth and love together, such as dancing silly in front of a crowd, having their photograph taken and after which, hurriedly escaping after breaking the photographer’s statue, and walking around the streets hand in hand, causing traffic and honks from angry drivers. In all these instances the two were laughing and smiling like they haven’t been for a very long time. Despite being both a silent film and in black and white, the cinematography and actors were able to effectively engage and take me through the story and feel every emotion. From all of this, I could not help but compare this film to the contemporary romantic movies nowadays which are more often than not shallow or made for the sake to match a random love song title which pretty much sounds all the same. Truly, this silent film stands out as even in its short timeframe and effortless plot, a classic great love story was told.

Sophia Bianca B. Ramos
    2012 – 27241

24. Keana Trasporte says:

Every year, I wait for the months of July and August for Eiga Sai. I’ve always had interest in Japanese films because of how culture-rich they are and Eiga Sai showcases some of the best every year. And the free admission really helps a lot. Sadly, I was only able to watch one film this year compared to around 5 films last year. But I’m glad I was able to watch Wood Job.

After failing his entrance exams and getting dumped by his girlfriend, Y?ki Hirano, enrolls in a one year forestry training program. Not that he is interested in nature, forest or trees. It just so happens that the woman on the advertisement is so pretty he decided to join.

Wood Job, just like the other films of Shinobu Yaguchi, uses the formula of zero-to-hero wherein the protagonist tries a new sport/art/profession and we join him/her in this journey. The filmmaker explored the nature and the forest which is quite far from Japan’s technological interests in the present. Which is a good thing because it takes us back to the roots of life, literally and metaphorically. Yaguchi also added layers of love, fertility and adventure while treating it lightly and comedic.

Keana Karol A. Trasporte
    2012-40574

25. Derianne C. Maramba says:

Last Saturday, August 29, I was able to watch the Spanish film Don Juan Tenorio. It was about a man, Don Juan, who lived a life of womanizing. At first, I didn’t like the film because it was two hours long. However, as the plot progressed, I was able to enjoy the film even if it was “silent”. I also liked it because it featured a trio that played live music that accompanied the film. I was able to appreciate more the power of music as it can dictate and set the mood of an ongoing plot. For me, the accompanying music had a very significant contribution to the Spanish film because I was able to fully grasp what’s happening. Lastly, I liked the film because it had an interesting plot. It depicted the reality of man’s life – how man can stumble and how man can repent.

Derianne C. Maramba
    2012-56904
    STS THY

26. Carissa Lim says:

As an observer, while watching “It’s a Beautiful Life,” I was awed by the relentless spirit of the Japanese women in particular, especially in a society where the voice of women usually takes a backseat. There was a stark contrast between the ageing town with too many elderly to support and care for and the invisible power from within a person. It is no coincidence that true wisdom comes with age. The persistence of the women who fought for their dream and belief in what they can do with the humble five petal tangerine leaf was woven throughout the film that portrayed meaning behind crises, unending strife, and hopelessness.
    The beauty of the film was reinforced with the inclusion and interplay of the young at heart and those who knew how to dream and move towards their goal. The backdrop portrayal and intersperse of nature and its beauty was never accidental. It was purposefully interwoven throughout the film, to depict the beauty in a person’s heart where true potential lies, amidst the graying surroundings or dark clouds in the looming horizon.

Carissa Andrea D. Lim
    2014-01579

27. Abby Lee says:

I went to the UP Film Center planning to watch Parasyte, but I also managed to catch the last 15 minutes of Kuragehime (Princess Jellyfish). Since I’ve seen Kuragehime before (as a huge fan of its original manga and anime), I’ll comment on Parasyte.

I haven’t watched or read the original Parasyte works, but was very familiar with its plot and premise due to the buzz and hype it had on the anime and manga community because of its sudden revival (the manga was published back in 1988).

Anyway, the first parts of the film (after the initial prologue of gore and some intruductions on the world or reality the movie is set in) were imbued with comedy and “what the–???” undertones. Shunichi and Migi figuring out how to co-exist, all the body contortions and hand transformations Shunichi managed to do– they were amusing and weird, as well as a touching sort of bonding exercise, if the viewers forget that their partnership is purely for survival. However, once the “antagonists” (were they really the antagonists though?) appeared, viewers get to see the hardcore gore and fight scenes, coupled with the well made special effects and prosthetics, seen, for example, whenever an infected human changes into its other form.

By the middle, Shunichi (and the viewers, by extension) were given a tiny sliver of hope that maybe, just maybe, they can all coexist together, a pipe dream by the Ryoko Tamiya that was interestingly yanked from Shunichi through Mr. A’s assimilation of Shuichi’s mother’s body.

At the end, we see a hardened Shuichi, ready to tear down the other species, who, in all fairness, probably just wants to live and survive in, insert dramatic gasp here, peace.

Parasyte (or Kiseijuu) mixes gore, action, fantasy, and comedy, weaved between the lines of suspense, intrigue, and family drama, which may cause viewers to create attatchments to the characters, especially to the Izumi family. Its attempts at romance were cut short (which I was actually happy about), but that may be due to the fact that a second movie has been released.

From the get go, the movie has presented the idea that humans are the actual “parasites” of the world. The movie touches upon environmental and even philosophical values, which all serve to prove Migi’s statement that:

“Upon researching the concept of demons, I believe that, among all life, humans are the closest thing to it.”

It is a very interesting watch, all in all, and probably not for the weak hearted. Parasyte sort of plays like a zombie movie on its first stages of infection, to be honest, but with more questions on morality and humanity, and less widespread (for now) than a zombie apocalypse.

Abigail S. Lee
    2012-30645
    STS THY

28. I wasn’t able to watch a film on a theater. Luckily, I found this one movie online entitled – “Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans” which is, fortunately, a part of the movie festival. When I viewed the first few minutes of it, I was a little bit disappointed because it turned out to be an old, classic American movie. However, I still continued to watch it until I haven’t notice the time pass by till the end of the story. It was amazing. Really amazing.

Now, here’s the plot. A woman from a city is on a vacation on a country, who is then having an affair with a married farmer. The farmer tells the woman the problem he is having with his wife; and to solve this the woman suggests that he should drown his wife. The woman said that he should prepare bundles of grass for him to float while his wife drowns when the boat will turn upside down. The farmer came up to a plan to take his wife in an outing on a lake. When he was about to drown her, she plead for mercy and he realized he couldn’t do it. The wife flees to the city and her husband followed her, begging for forgiveness. In the city, they came across with a bride getting married and this struck them. The wife soon forgave the farmer after his efforts, and they departed home. Now, here’s the sad part where I almost cried. While they were on their way coming home, they drifted along the lake. A storm came causing their boat to sink. The farmer remembers the grass he placed on the boat and he tied them to his wife. The next morning, the man awakes on a shore without his wife around. He was convinced that here wife was dead. Soon, he came home where he found the woman from the city, assuming that their plan “succeeded”. He chokes here until someone said that his wife was still alive. The farmer and his wife met, while the woman went back on the city.

I’m always a fan of romantic movies. It’s my favorite genre afterall. But this unique film was really breathtaking. I mean how could the make someone (like me) feel the heartbreaking emotion of the movie without uttering a single dialog? Overall, the plot was amazing. While watching it, you’ll be expecting a tragic ending but it turns out the other way. Moreover, the actors were really good. It’s like you’ll be forced to say, “Now, this is acting”. Even though, the quality or graphics of the movie was not that good (because it came out on 1927) the plot and actors “pulled it upwards” making it a one of a kind movie. This is my first time watching a silent movie, and as a starter, I was greatly overwhelmed.

Edgar John C. Pagulayan
    2015-03782

29. Terrence Ferdinand S. Nagaño says:

The Eiga Sai Film Festival presented a broad spectrum of Japanese motion pictures: from heart-warming tales such as “It’s A Beautiful Life – Irodori – ”, to documentaries of Japan’s finest culinary offerings such as “The God of Ramen”, to a film adaptation of a famous science fiction horror manga series that features human-infesting alien words, “Parasyte”. I didn’t actually watched “Parasyte” in the theatre because I already watched it before the run of the film festival.

“It’s A Beautiful Life – Irodori -” is a touching story that follows a group of elderly women – three childhood friends – that band together to bring their small hometown back to life by selling vegetable leaves. The premise of the film, for me, was a little too plain at the beginning. However, as the story progressed, the movie gained my utmost empathy and sympathy towards the characters. A tale of success for seniors, this film gave important lessons not just about how to start an enterprise, but about life in general. Although some scenes were a little cliché ridden for a dramatic movie, the film beautifully and effectively interweaves human drama, conflicts, and the hardships endured by the main characters. The performance of the actors is laudable and the storyline is well-written. Furthermore, I was surprised that the film was a retelling of a true-to-life story.

“The God of Ramen” chronicles the life of one of Japan’s most celebrated ramen cooks, the charismatic Kazuo Yamagishi (the namesake of the title). Yamagishi is the founder of Taishoken, a very famous yet modest ramen shop. I already knew Taishoken before watching “The God of Ramen”. However, this documentary gave a more in-depth look to what is there beyond the walls of the shop. Unlike other documentaries in which it just “shows”, this documentary is distinctive because it pulls the audience into it and makes the audience resonate with the film. The documentary highlighted the devotion and passion of Yamagishi to his craft, to his apprentices, and to his wife who died 20 years before. I was inspired and touched that in spite of his old age and infirmities, he still strives to continue his craft.

Gore. Horror. I am used to these two things and as such is not a stranger to the dark undertones of “Parasyte”. Read the manga. Check. Watched the anime. Check. I know the plot and so the film almost didn’t surprise me in terms of the story line. However, I appreciated how it stayed loyal to the original manga, even though there are some minor differences. Moreover, as expected of Japan, the visual effects are superb. The bottomline: “Parasyte” is much better than the “Attack on Titan” live action film.

Terrence Ferdinand S. Nagaño
    2015-04845

30. Jeanky Palabrica says:

Being a fan of horror and thriller-themed movies, I grabbed this opportunity to watch a 1924 Austrian silent horror film entitled “The Hands of Orlac” which was directed by Sir Robert Wiene.

At first, I thought that I would not be able to fully understand the “no-sound-at-all” movie however, interestingly, the movie proved that it does not need any kind of music nor sound for the audience to swallow the content of the film. I also noticed the difference of horror in the past and current flicks. Horror movies in the 1920s depict a deeper kind of horror; it actually uses more of the psychological conflicts and struggles of the main character. It has no terrifying monsters or ladies in white that may get included in your dream, or should I say, nightmare.

The plot of the film really bothered me, why tell Paul Orlac that his new hand came from a “murderer”? What could have happened if Paul did not know anything about the owner of the hands? He could have just ignored it and continued his simple life. He may not be able to do well at playing piano in an instant, but I am pretty sure he’ll do good and even better with practice and dedication. His fear about having a murderer’s hands made him look like a possessed and scary man. I know that this was to show “body horror” of the flick and seeing him swallowed by fear is really irritating, which means an awesome portrayal of the character perhaps?

Of course, happy endings are always blissful. Paul learned that his new hands were clean, and that Vasseur was just framed by his friend con man, Nera.

The lesson of the movie definitely is about how you think of your own self. This is a chance for us, viewers, to check ourselves and see the things we are capable of doing. Does it really matter where our “hands” came from? Or the clothes we wear? I believe not.

Jeanky Rose J. Palabrica
    2012 – 30342

31. Dexter Jay Domingo says:

I was able to watch Princess Jellyfish and Parasyte. I’ve read Parasyte’s manga and the movie’s plot was boring compared to the former. Though the special effects and the drama were good I was a little bit dissatisfied with the movie adaptation.
    On the other hand,Princess Jellyfish was able to add more elements like politics and social stigmas over fanatics in Japan instead of just sticking to the main theme which was achieving THE DREAM.

32. Marian Nicole Vale says:

I watched Parasyte (though not in the theater) since I am already a bit familiar with the plot from watching its anime adaptation for the first few episodes and reading a bit of the manga. I was also curious on how the live-action movie would turn out.

As expected, the movie had great visual effects. Aside from the gore and action, there are actually elements of comedy during the beginning and drama scattered throughout. The movie also focused on relationships, especially with family, as well as . I always liked the concept in the film as I have watched many shows that employ similar themes.

I found the conflicting thoughts of Shinichi and Migi very striking since I find them
    relatable to real life. Why is it wrong for monsters (parasites) to eat humans to survive but it is not when humans kill animals and eat them for survival? What gave humans the right to do so? The ideas about morality in this movie really makes you ask questions. And also, it raises important questions about the nature of humanity and existence. If a parasite enters one’s body, he/she is no longer human. But how can two parasites in human bodies have a human child?

But really, who is the real evil? Aren’t humans and parasites just the same? Migi had compared demons as closest to humans in definition. And it is clear that humans are just as selfish as the parasites and that both want to survive. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong in surviving (even if it could be morally wrong in the case of humans) and as a writer once said, “Evil is a point of view.”

Marian Nicole D. Vale
    2015-02465

33. Leana Carlos says:

I was able to watch two films, a) The God of Ramen and b) Parasyte.

The God of Ramen was a documentary about a chef who dedicated his life making Ramen for his customers. He wasn’t exactly the typical businessman. It was heartwarming to see him share his passion’s recipe to his apprentices, ignoring the possibility that these people could compete with his business one day. I loved the narrative of the story and how it followed his life in the business until the closing of his store. What I didn’t appreciate about the film was the apparent insensitivity of the documentarist who tactlessly asked personal questions just to add unnecessary angling of “drama” to the film.

Parasyte was such a delight to watch. It played with the idea of the existence of parasites (aliens) and the possibility of these beings to co-exist with the human populace. Both needed to ‘adapt’ in a new environment/setting in order to survive. The digital effects for the movie were amazing. The highlight of the movie for me was when Migi brought Shinichi back to life.

Leana Agustin L. Carlos
    2012-78924
    STS THY

34. Bettina Songco says:

The Eiga Sai, “Shoku: Beyond Sushi” is a very interesting and compelling documentary for someone who loves Japanese culture. Their simple and unique way of life was excellently displayed and the film focused on the preparation and expansion of Japanese food, mainly to the United States. As I watched the film, I couldn’t help but admire the way the Japanese produce and conceptualize things as simple as sashimi, umami, ramen, and more. Their culture, heritage, and art were all tied together with the making of their food, mentioning that they connect with god, with each other, and with themselves through the food they eat.

Besides the mouth-watering scenes of salmon sashimi, tempura, takoyaki balls, and the famous sticky rice, I enjoyed how I was able to witness the background and history of how the Japanese cuisine came to be. The expansion of this cuisine was never expected but I could see the hype that it has created through social media. From the ramen craze here in Manila to the “sushi burrito” cravings in California, Japanese cuisine has indeed been taking over the world.

The film reminded me of my visit to Japan last July and how remarkable the Japanese really are. From their busy night life, to their fast-paced advancement in technology, to their warm and friendly locals, to their delicious cuisine, Japan has developed to become one of the top countries in the world. For a lover of sushi and all things Japanese, this film was a great one!

Bettina O. Songco
    2014-54535

35. Koko Domingo says:

I was able to watch the film Thermae Romae II. The film basically focused on the adventures of Lucius, a bathhouse architect in ancient Rome. In the movie, he had the task of designing a bathhouse for gladiators. In search of inspiration, he travelled to contemporary Japan to find himself in a sumo wrestlers’ locker room. This is where he discovered several ingenuities, which he brought back to the gladiators in Rome.

What I loved about the film is that it was able to show the contrasting nature of Lucius to that of the Roman government, amidst the comedic theme that prevailed throughout the whole movie. It did a great job in highlighting the problems with flawed politics and power-seeking politicians. This gave the movie a relevant side to it, exposing its viewers to these problems. I also enjoyed the parallelisms found between the contemporary Japan and ancient Rome. I think this worked wonders for the film, making it even more interesting and comedic, while also installing a broad cultural knowledge to its viewers.

In the end, I would recommend for people to watch this movie because it is easy to enjoy in a comedic, yet culturally trivial and knowledgable sense.

Francisco Luis Domingo
    2015 – 08614
    STS – THX

36. Andrea M. Isleta says:

PATISSERIE COIN DE RUE

Initially, I expected a simple and light-hearted movie, especially since I would be watching a film about baking pastries! But I quickly realized that this Japanese movie was far more complex than that.

Although the film mainly revolves around pastry chefs, bakers and dessert, its ability to delve into other more serious topics like tragedy and heartbreak is very commendable. I liked how they showcased these topics because it made the film more relatable to the audience! I also liked how they chose a patisserie as the main setting and title, and pastry chefs for the central characters of the film because it’s something that we don’t usually see in films today. Overall, I would recommend people to watch the film not only for the delicious desserts being showcased, but also for the compelling story being told.

Andrea Patricia M. Isleta
    2015-01267

37. Paul Albert Frederick P. Castillo says:

I watched the movie Wood Job! Wood Job is an amazing film to watch because it is not your typical drama movie but it also gave a sense of awareness for its viewers. One of the problems of our world today is the danger of depleting the forests that we have. In this movie, I was inspired in awe by how they work day by day to take care of their forests. We don’t need to urbanize just to achieve the advancement we are looking for especially living in Asia where we have lived in forests ever since ancient times. I like how they were able to depict a society where we can learn, live, and prosper even in a rural setting. The way Hirano’s life changed from a man wanting to live because of women and the easy life, into a man working for the betterment of the people around him and also the change that he achieved because of the beauty of living in their society. It showed that the people here were one with their environment and that they really are concerned with the outcome of their work. The meticulousness of forestry is something that astounds me with what they have done and how they respect the goddess of the woods.

There are a lot of lessons that can be picked up in this movie and hopefully we are inspired here in our country that development doesn’t necessarily mean drastic change, but adapting with the surroundings that we have and flourishing from there.

Paul Albert Frederick P. Castillo
    2014-06352

38. Jacquelyn De Asis says:

I watched Parasyte, one of the films in Eiga Sai Film Festival. Initially, my reason was only because this was a ‘requirement’ in STS class. What amazed me is how this movie surpassed my expectations. Before watching, I heard that this was an adaptation of an anime about parasites taking over bodies of humans, and since I was never a fan of Japanese stuff like manga and anime, I expected that it will just bore me. Surprisingly, this film is more than just parasites eating brains of humans to take them over and diminish mankind.

Parasyte tackles issues about problems the society faces. At the beginning of the film, video clips of disasters and calamities were shown to picutre how worse the world has become. As Tamiya said that if only humans could be reduced to a hundred and someone definitely thinks so, someone may be behind all these and he/she wants to reduce the number of people for the sake of the world. That person has the good intentions, but with the wrong solution.

This film also touched my heart by how it depicted the love between a mother and a son. Shinichi told Migi about the story of how his mother saved him from the hot oil. The scar on his mom’s hand is still there reminding Shinichi of her sacrifice. Until the end, even if A took over her body, she was still able to save her son from the imminent danger. This only proves that a mother’s love for her child is one of the purest love of all.

Despite the gore and unusual animation of parasites taking over human bodies, Parasyte did a good job in portraying the interrelationship among man, science, technology, and society, especially how these affect one another. I will definitely watch out for the sequel/s.

Jacquelyn De Asis
    2014-01014
    STS-THY

39. Jeremiah Magana says:

I have watched Parasyte

Parasyte is a gory sci-fi horror movie about small worm like aliens who enter and take control of the host’s body.I have actually watched the anime adaptation so i was pretty much accustomed to the gore.

The things i liked about Parasyte besides the gore and the action scenes were the vast range of thought provoking themes and concepts it can show to different the kinds of viewers.One of the themes was about filial love which was the cause for the tragic events that will literally stab you in the heart.There are others that go much much deeper than motherly love but one of the most relevant themes to STS is about how the movie shows how egocentric and reckless humanity is.About how we subconsciously root for mankind without even considering other viewpoints.It makes us think about how deserving we are of our environment.Despite the seriousness,I liked how they mixed in small traces of humor and possibly romance in the movie.

The underlying concepts of this movie was what i liked best but even if you choose to watch it mindlessly,the intense gore and the action scenes with the small traces of humor can still keep you on the edge of your seat.

Jeremiah Jude B. Magana
    2015-01452
    STS-THY

40. Xandr Neal B. Uboan says:

After the midyear class I ask my friend to give me some anime so that I can watch it during the vacation. The anime Parasyte was one of them. I tried watching one episode of it but halfway through I decided not to continue because I got tired of watching anime with action genre. When I heard that there’s a live action of this in Eiga Sai Film Festival I decided to watch it.

First of all, I’m not a fan of Japanese movies. Second, I’m not good in writing reaction or reviews about movies (No, this is not an excuse. HAHA). But still, I will try my best. Before watching the movie I lowered my expectations for this.

Parasyte is about aliens invading the earth and they take over the humans by eating their brains and controlling them. In order to survive they need to eat normal humans. This is somewhat similar to Tokyo Ghoul, an anime that focuses on ‘ghouls’ that eats humans for them to survive also. The protagonist, who is also attacked by aliens, is different from others since his brain wasn’t eaten by the alien. For me, the movie is not even close to being gore but somehow it is filled with action. In the end, the protagonist decided that he will used the powers that he acquired from the alien to kill other aliens who kill humans for their nourishment.

If you watch closely, the movie is not all about killing, it is also about the love of the mother for his son, which is the protagonist. This also somehow portrays a possible scenario when humans will be taken over by AI–no emotions at all–

Overall, the movie was good. It was higher than my expectations! When I learned that there would be a sequel for this I got excited, it makes me want to watch it. I will also find time to watch the anime version of this.

UBOAN, XANDR NEAL
    2013-61227
    STS-THX

41. Jesreene Anuat says:

I was able to watch Parasyte. At first, I honestly thought that I would not like the movie. I’m not really a fan of movies with scenes that include monsters, centipedes or parasites entering the human body. Seeing the list of movies, I wanted to watch Our Family (Bokutachi no kazoku) because I enjoyed watching dramas or usually anything that tackles about family struggles. Nevertheless, I’m still happy with Parasyte.

I love how it exemplified an unusual friendship, an unconditional mother’s love, and the selfishness of humans. I remembered when Migi learned the meaning of “demon” and commented how its definition is closely related to what humans are. It also showed how we are like parasites, living by feeding on one another. But still, it also portrayed that kindness we all have that ignites when we see other people in need. Humans are complicated, really. We are selfish and selfless. My favorite part was when at the end, Shinichi’s mother once again saved him. Because I am a fan of every mother, I love the fact that they showed how our mothers love us unconditionally in a way no one can explain. At the end, when Shinichi said that his goal is to kill each and every monster to protect the humans. He demonstrated bravery and commitment, with the thought that we are the same species, we are humans, this world is ours.

Jesreene M. Anuat
    2015-05556
    STS THX

42. I watched Parasyte unknowing of the fact that it would be one gory movie. I was never a fan of gory, bloody movies but that movie wasn’t just gory or bloody. It was a mixture of gory and bloody and funny and sad and suspense and kinda cute (MIGI!!), all at the right amounts, which made me actually like the movie.

Parasyte is a Japanese scifi action horror film about aliens taking humans as hosts. But one unfortunate parasyte came to someone wearing a headphone so he entered his hands instead. It’s funny how unfortunate for Migi (fortunate for the host Sinichi), he ended up in Sinichi’s hand. I like how despite being a parasyte, Migi isn’t like the others who kill and kill. He actually cares about his host and even saves his life. I also found the action scenes fun to watch because it’s really cute how Migi fights. Personally, I don’t like the fact that the mother died. But I guess that was needed to fuel Sinichi’s desire for revenge.

I found the movie a fun watch and I’m actually planning to watch the part 2. Obviously it’ll be about getting revenge and saving the world. But if Sinichi plans to wipe all the aliens, would that mean getting rid of Migi too?

DE GUIA, LISA GRACE
    2013-38032
    STS-THY

43. WOOD JOB!

I have seen a number of Japanese films ranging from RomComs to SciFi—all of these are set in “postmodern” or sometimes even futuristic Japanese cities. Japan is known to be one of the best (if not the best) in Asia in terms of technological innovation, and I have always had a very urban, modern, and minimalist picture of Japan inside my head. Watching Wood Job! made me see another side of Japan.

This movie portrayed the “greener” side of Japan. It was set in modern Japan but in a “greener”, rural environment—the mountains and forest. Japan may be a leader in technology but the film showed how important nature is for its people. It also emphasized how different life is in urban and rural Japan.

I really liked the film because it provided a fresh look on Japanese culture. The film is also commendable in terms of cinematography.

Vallesteros, Veatriz Rafaelle
    2012-22043
    STS THX

44. Shota Sometani proved that he’s really a good actor but his capabilities were always stereotyped in the likes of Shinichi Izumi of “Parasyte” (2014) and Yuki Hirano of “Wood Job!” (2014) kind of protagonists – the underdogs.

I’ve seen “Parasyte” (2014) and “Wood Job!” (2014) during the festival run of Eiga Sai in UP this year. For 4 years now, I’ve been constantly following the films that the programmers of this so-called Japanese film festival will showcase – and to my amazement, they again never failed to present a bucket full of surprises this year.

The theme for this year was cinema and gastronomy (last year’s was “Family”). The line-up of films programmed mostly covered the landscape of food in cinematic scope. There were also documentaries but I chose to watch “Parasyte” and “Wood Job!” (both narrative films) because I wanted to see how Shota Sometani grew as an actor – from “Himizu” (2012) to “Lesson of the Evil” (2012) to “Tokyo Tribe” (2014).

“Parasyte” (2014) and “Wood Job!” (2014) were visually stunning. The cinematography, production design, coloring and visual effects were all on point. Parasyte was that typical ~anime/manga~ narrative but who cares? It was brilliantly made. Wood Job! was the extraordinary one. I kept thinking how they were able to shoot such scenes. I’d to commend the filmmakers! (Wood) Job well done!!

RAMON ALBERTO L. GARILAO
    2011-78864
    STS-THY

45. Gyle Tampil says:

(1) Princess Jellyfish
    (2) Overall, it has a good impact to the audience. A group of misfits and another “misfit” who is trying to save their only home from a company’s plan of progression. It is not the average romantic movie since it is a blend of different elements. Romance isn’t even the focus of this movie. It is about a girl who dreams about being a jellyfish princess. It is also about progress, political powers, social culture, and some behavior that would have psychological background. I commend them for making a hodgepodge of culture in Japan. Politics and fashion in one movie? It is in Princess Jellyfish. However, due to the “limit” of movies to two hours or around that time frame, the story is forced to be shortened, so the plot seems to be too quick, hasty even. This is evident in the romance element of the story. But all in all, it is a good movie.

Gyle D. Tampil
    2015-00320
    STS-THY

46. Rico Dela Cruz says:

As I look for a movie to watch I came by with the movie “The Last Days of Pompeii.” Even if its story is widely known around the world, I still chose it. Having a story like this is challenging because you have to ‘surprise’ your audience.

Obviously, we can conclude from the title that the city of Pompeii would be destroyed. But, for those who are not familiar with the story let me just give brief statements. So, the story revolves around the eruption of Mount Vesuvius that led to the devastation of the city. There was believed to be a couple that is seen embracing each other although this was different from the five thousand year old embracing couple. What made it well known is the fact that the city was well preserved up to the present.

The movie was actually a good representation of the disastrous event. There was this blind woman who was madly in love with a man that she even wanted a potion to make this guy go loco over her. But, at the end of the story knowing that this guy loves another woman, the blind woman helped them see each other again. It is during the eruption that this happened. So in the midst of the tragedy they were able to be together. This is what I like about the movie. There is suspense. Whether the couple in the movie is this “embracing couple’ we do not know.

This also made a mark in my mind as I remember when I was younger, I was able to visit the Singapore Museum that exhibited cast plasters of the citizens of Pompeii. Overall, silent movies are a great example of the phrase “Actions speak louder than words.”

RICO DELA CRUZ
    2015-08354
    STS-THX

47. Desiree Torrente says:

Princess Jellyfish

The film was actually adapted from a manga. I have read the beginning of the manga which was, from the beginning, weird. I wasn’t able to handle the strangeness of the manga so I stopped reading it.

I am not into live action films which are adapted from animes and mangas because it tends to change a lot of stuff from the original plot and/or exaggerate certain parts of it, Princess Jellyfish was not an exception. Because Princess Jellyfish was quite fast-paced, I did not feel the romance building up. It was like throwing the whole romance thing into my face after just a few scenes of flirting. Well, I can not blame them for only having 2 hours of screen time for a very long manga that’s not even finished yet.

Enough of the negative commentary. What I really like about the film is that it is uncommon. It is not unique but it is one of a kind. The message of the film is that no matter how strange we are, we are still part of this society and we have the right to voice out our opinion and succeed in our advocacies even through unconventional ways. And the film showed it in a subtle and entertaining way which is admiring for a rom-com film.

DESIREE TORRENTE
    STS-THY
    2015-05266

48. Desiree Torrente says:

Princess Jellyfish

The film was actually from a manga. I have read the beginning of the manga enough for me to be curious about the film.

I am not into films that are adaptions of mangas and animes. These films tend to change a lot of stuff from the original plot and/or exaggerate certain parts of it and Princess Jellyfish is not an exception. Because it was quite fast-paced, I did not feel the romance building up. It was like throwing the whole romance thing into my face after just a few scenes of flirting. Well, I cannot blame them for only having 2 hours of screen time for a very long manga that is not even finished yet.

Enough of the negative commentary. What I really like about this film is that it is uncommon. It is not unique but it is one of a kind. The message of the film is that no matter how strange we are we still have the right to voice out our opinion and succeed in our advocacies/endeavors even through unconventional ways. The film showed it in a subtle and entertaining way that is admiring for a rom-com film.

DESIREE TORRENTE
    STS-THY
    2015-05266

49. Luis Carlos Tan says:

I wasn’t really able to watch the legit films in that particular event but I was surprised that one of the film has an anime adaptation and a live action (I don’t know if that live action is the same film that was played in the festival) that I both watched before even the event happened. I have watched “Parasyte: The Maxim” back then and I really liked the series. The perfect mixture of drama and action made the show so good since it is, for most of the part, about emotional attachment to characters and their way of views and the philosophical perspectives that we might haven’t yet considered. Not saying that I’m a horrible person but I generally like the “death scene” parts of the show. The dialogues between the protagonist and the dying/dead people were very powerful and touching since they became parts of his life. With those deaths and burdens he carry, he became stronger as an organism and as a human. These were the reasons of his progress, his advancement towards the future and life that he almost abandoned.

Overall, it was moving and eye-opening. With the philosophical views that the characters stated and the serious dialogues that they released, Parasyte became a one-of-a-kind show for it portrayed the unique possibility of a gore-filled and action-packed show that happened in an alien invasion setting turn into a very melancholic and sad one that introduces different mindsets that the viewers should contemplate.

50. Luis Carlos Tan says:

(sorry po nakalimutan ilagay yung ibang necessary info)
    LUIS CARLOS TAN